/*lead forensics script*/ /*lead forensics script - end*/ Esna Tern Surface Effect Ships is the next generation Crew Transfer Vessels

ESNA SES

The ESNA Tern SES CTV is the next generation high performance crew transfer vessel, offering:

  • Maximum speed above 40 knot and small speed loss in waves
  • Unique and very comfortable motions at high vessel speeds. 
  • Greatly reduced seasickness compared to catamaran CTVs
  • Turbine access in up to 2.5m significant wave height


THE ESNA TERN SURFACE EFFECT SHIP VESSEL CONCEPT

The Tern hull consists of two slender catamaran hulls. The area between the hulls is closed with flexible reinforced rubber fingers in the bow and an inflated rubber bag in the stern. Centrifugal fans blow air into this enclosed space, providing an air cushion that lifts up to 80% of the vessel weight. The remaining 20% is supported by side hull buoyancy. This allows for the following advantages:

  • High vessel speed because the frictional resistance is significantly decreased. 
  • Decreased wave induced motions because there is less contact with the waves 
  • The air cushion acts as a large shock absorber, improving the seakeeping and reducing seasickness. 

 

View photo gallery


ESNA TERN MOTION DAMPING

The Tern is equipped with a computer controlled active motion damping system which reduces vertical motions both at high and low vessel speeds. As the lift fans supply air to the air cushion, the control system actively controls vent valves that either ventilate the air cushion to a low pressure or closes the valves so that the air cushion pressure is increased. 

The vessel can be lifted up and down approximately two meters, thus being able to cancel up to two meters of vessel motion in waves. This is especially effective in long waves/swell, where all other vessel types will float and follow the wave surface. This principle is shown in the figure on the right hand. While both the CTV and SOV will follow the long waves (swell), the control system reduces the vertical motion of the ESNA Tern. At high speed the motion control system smoothens the motions, thus improving the comfort of the passengers and crew. 

MAIN DATA Click here

MAIN ADVANTAGES WITH THE ESNA TERN SES CTV:

  • High speed for servicing windfarms further offshore with reduced transit time
  • Excellent seakeeping & comfort – zero seasickness
  • Active motion compensation in transit, during slow speed operations offshore and during turbine access operations
  • Safe turbine access in rough weather
  • Shallow draught to operate from shallow harbours without tide restrictions
  • Low fuel consumption for reduced costs and emissions
  • Superstructures on dampers for minimum noise and vibrations
  • Modular superstructure for customized arrangements
  • Indoor access to machinery spaces
  • Robust and proven single shaft propulsion system arrangements
  • Low profile to minimize resistance and wind exposed areas
  • Air bow thrusters to improve low-speed manoeuvring
  • Proven SES technology
For more information www.esna.no

LATEST NEWS

Offshore partnership WFSV at Seawork

The fruit of a ground-breaking WFSV build partnership between Aluminium Marine Consultants (AMC) and Mainprize Offshore Ltd will be on the quayside (berth VB32) at Seawork International this year.
read more...

more news stories...